Any coffee lovers out there? This recipe is for you! I used to buy a sugary Starbucks latte every morning before work; these days, I’m all about whipping up my own superfood lattes in my Vitamix. My latest obsession (besides matcha lattes of course) is this creamy, dreamy reishi chocolate latte. It’s made with good-for-you superfood ingredients like reishi, cacao, and ashwagandha and will give you a boost of energy you’re looking for in the morning without the crash or added processed sugars and syrups. Oh, and it basically tastes like an adult hot chocolate.
For those of you who don’t know, reishi is a mushroom extract that’s great for boosting your your immune system, detoxifying the body, and slowing down the aging process. It’s a bit strong on its own, but when you mix it with cacao powder, the flavors blend nicely together and taste like a rich hot chocolate. I also added a bit of ashwagandha, known as the Indian ginseng, which helps relieve stress, reduce anxiety, and improves sleep. It goes really well with the cacao and reishi, but if you don’t have it, you can sub it with maca powder or just leave it out.
The coconut oil, dash of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt goes a long way in making this drink extra silky and amazing. And if you’re craving something more creamy and indulgent, you can use coconut milk instead of almond milk, although I prefer almond milk on a daily basis. Either way, make sure to pour it in a nice big mug and savor every sip!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp reishi mushroom powder
- 1/2 tsp ashwagandha powder (optional)
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Dash of cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup (add less or more to taste)
- I use this red reishi and ashwagandha from Amazon, but I also heard Sunpotion has amazing powders, so I’ll be trying that next!
Cuisine: Vegan/vegetarian, dairy-free, gluten free
- Add all ingredients to a Vitamix or high speed blender. (I use this water boiler to boil my water, which makes it extra easy.)
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth, for about 30 seconds. The mixture will be frothy.
- Pour into mugs and savor every sip!
Photographs by Stephanie Park