When you’re craving a big fat donut, but just finished a grueling workout (and don’t want to undo all those high knees and burpees), try making these sliced apple ‘donuts’ (inspired by Remi’s Apple Rounds). They might not taste like Krispy Kreme donuts, but they’re still pretty damn delicious—think candy apple meets healthy donut. The combination of the crispy apples, creamy nut butter (or yogurt), and crunchy toppings is totally addictive and makes each bite taste like heaven. And if you want to make it extra delicious, drizzle some raw chocolate sauce (recipe below), tahini, or honey on top (I always do)!
Here are my favorite combos:
- ABC Nut Butter + Purely Elizabeth Maple Walnut granola + cinnamon + raw chocolate sauce (love this one!)
- Homemade Nutella + Purely Elizabeth Chocolate Sea Salt granola + cacao nibs + tahini drizzle
- Greek yogurt + coconut flakes + honey
P.S. This is random, but did you know apples have perfect star-shaped cores when you slice them horizontally? Mind blown.
- Slice an apple horizontally into 1/2″ thick slices. (I prefer red apples for this recipe, either Fuji, Gala, or Honeycrisp.)
- Use a mini cookie cutter to create a hole in the center (and remove the core).
- Slather on your choice of nut butter or yogurt. Sprinkle something crunchy on top, like granola, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, or crushed nuts. To make it extra delicious, top it off with some raw chocolate sauce, tahini, or honey drizzle. You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1-2 days.
FOR RAW CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tahini
- In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil over low heat.
- Add the cacao powder, maple syrup, and tahini and stir until smooth and well combined.
Photographs by Stephanie Park