I used to buy these peanut butter & chocolate chip energy balls from Liquiteria before my workout class and spend $6-7 on three balls—it was a delicious but pricey habit. Now I make my own version using ingredients I already have in my pantry, and I’m obsessed! They’re super easy to make and store really well in the freezer. I love making a big batch on Sundays and grabbing one or two (or three) as an afternoon pick-me-up or healthy treat. (Okay, sometimes I’ll have one for breakfast too…) They’re also so incredibly delicious and addictive that my boyfriend and I will actually fight over the last bite. Enjoy!
- 1 cup rolled oats (I use this one)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup of chopped dark chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
- Food processor
- Cookie scoop, medium size
Prep time: 10 min / Total time: 10 min
Cuisine: Vegan, gluten free, raw
Makes about 15-16 balls
- Place rolled oats, coconut flakes, flax seeds, and salt in a food processor and process until the mixture is ground into fine flour.
- Add almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and melted coconut oil to the food processor. Process again until the mixture becomes a sticky dough-like consistency.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl. Mix in chopped dark chocolate chunks or chocolate chips evenly with your hands.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop the mixture into bite-sized balls. This should make about 15-16 balls.
- Roll each scoop into balls with your hands. Store bliss balls in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month. Grab a ball whenever you need a delicious pick-me-up :) Enjoy!
Photographs by Stephanie Park