Being a smoothie bowl lover, I was excited to find Raw Love down in Tulum, Mexico. They serve a variety of fun superfood smoothies that you can either order as drinks or beautifully decorated smoothie bowls (I chose the latter, obviously). I had to drag my boyfriend back a few times just to try out more flavors. Our favorite was the tropical Healthy Belly smoothie bowl, and Nikki, the owner, has kindly shared the recipe with us below!
This smoothie is not only refreshing and delicious, but also great for digestion. The main ingredients include papaya for its special digestive enzymes to get a sluggish system moving again, as well as turmeric and ginger, which are both healing superfoods that ease and aid in the digestive process.
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 large pieces of papaya (about 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp passionfruit pulp
- 1 tbsp of shredded ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4-5 ice cubes
- Banana, papaya, pineapple, or whatever fruit you wish
- Chia seeds, activated almonds, pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes, goji berries
Prep time: 5 min / Total time: 5 min
Cuisine: Vegan, gluten free, raw
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Pour smoothie into a bowl and top with your choice of fruits, nuts, and seeds.
When making a smoothie bowl, your options for what you can put on top are endless. Some other ideas could be strawberries, sunflower seeds, buckwheat, dates, and cacao nibs. Enjoy!
Photographs by Stephanie Park