This is one of the most popular recipes on my site—they are so easy to make and really taste like cookie dough thanks to the vanilla-date combo. They are also barely sweetened, meaning they can double as a pre- or post-workout snack. Feel free to make a double batch—they always fly off the dessert table and quickly disappear even when I have them tucked away in the freezer.
- 3/4 cups raw cashews, soaked for 4 hours
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 medjool dates, pitted and soaked in hot water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- About 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs, or a mix of both!
Prep time: 10 min / Total time: 10 min
Cuisine: Vegan, gluten free, raw
Makes about 12 balls
- Line a plate with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Place the cashews, oats, coconut flakes, and salt in a food processor or
Vitamix. Pulse until a fine meal forms.
- Add the dates and vanilla extract. Pulse again until the mixture becomes a dough like consistency. If the mixture isn’t sticking together, add 1-3 tbsp of the water the dates have been soaked in and pulse again.
- Remove the dough and place it in a small bowl. Gently fold in the chocolate chips until they are incorporated into the dough mixture.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop the dough into bite-sized balls (makes about 12). You can use your hands, but the cookie scoop helps portion the dough evenly and easily.
- With clean hands, roll into balls. OPTIONAL: Roll around in a bowl of coconut flakes to coat the balls. Once coated, roll them again with your hands so that the coconut sticks to the dough.
- Enjoy immediately, or store in the freezer for later!
Photographs by Stephanie Park
Read more on Lily’s healthy food prep tips, her all-natural beauty routine, and her favorite DIY facemask. You can find more of Lily’s gluten free, plant-based recipes on cleanfooddirtycity.com and follow her adventures on Instagram @cleanfooddirtycity or Snapchat @clnfoodirtycity.