I’ve been obsessed with this green smoothie all summer long. It’s super creamy, flavorful, satisfying, and energizing. It’s seriously one of the best green smoothies I’ve ever had—and I’m not talking about a fruit-filled smoothie blended with fruit juice and a tiny handful of greens (which certainly tastes amazing, but barely qualifies as a nutritious green smoothie in my opinion). This smoothie is packed with beautifying ingredients like kale, spinach, celery, and avocado, and naturally sweetened with half an apple, banana, and coconut water. I actually used fresh coconut water, which is not required but made it all the more delightful. (You’ve probably seen my boyfriend crack some coconuts if you follow me on snap haha.) I also added a few dashes of cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne. I know it sounds weird to add spices like cinnamon, but it really brings all the flavors together and makes it extra delicious. Trust me on this one!
This smoothie was actually inspired by Kimberly Snyder’s Glowing Green smoothie. I’ve been hearing raving reviews about this signature smoothie of hers—celebrities like Kerry Washington and Olivia Wilde all swear by it. So a few months ago I ordered her book ‘The Beauty Detox Foods’, which I absolutely loved reading (I highly recommend it!). As for the smoothie, I tried it a few times, and I really wanted to love it, but my taste buds couldn’t get around to drinking 7 cups of spinach and 6 cups of romaine in one sitting. Maybe one day I’ll get there, but for now, there’s this Morning Glow Green Smoothie! Let me know if you try it :)
- 2 cups kale
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/4 cup mint
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 apple, cored
- 1/2 avocado
- Juice of 1 lemon (or lime)
- 1″ ginger
- A few dashes of cinnamon (the best part!)
- Dash of cayenne pepper (adds a spicy kick)
- OPTIONAL: 1 tbsp of almonds, cashews, or brazil nuts (makes it more satisfying and delicious)
- 2 cups coconut water
- Handful of ice
- Inspired by Kimberly Snyder’s Glowing Green Smoothie. Recipe adapted from my Ultimate Green Detox Smoothie.
- Use organic ingredients if possible and clean with apple cider vinegar to get rid of pesticides and germs.
- You can sub apple with a pear.
- Use water in place of coconut water to reduce sugar, but I love the flavor it adds to the smoothie!
Prep time: 5 min / Total time: 5 min
Cuisine: Vegan, gluten free, raw
- Prep all ingredients and wash thoroughly.
- Add kale, spinach, celery, mint, coconut water, and ice to a high-speed blender. Blend on high until creamy and smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the high-speed blender. Blend on high until creamy and smooth. Pour into a jar, sprinkle extra cinnamon, and enjoy!
Photographs by Stephanie Park