After seeing many puff pastries with apple roses on Instagram, I was inspired to create a non-baked version and transfer it to a breakfast bowl. This obviously isn’t something you would make every morning, but if you want to impress someone, or there’s a special occasion like a birthday, Mother’s day, or Valentines Day, this apple rose would make the perfect garnish on top.
- 2 apples of choice (granny smith, gala, pink lady, etc.)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 3 cups filtered water
- Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, slice the apples finely and toss in a pot with water and lemon.
- Heat on medium flame and once simmering, continue to simmer for 3-4 minutes. Be careful not to overcook or they will break up.
- Using a slotted spoon, gently scoop out the apple slices into a bowl.
- To start the rose, take one slice and roll it up to make the center. Now slice by slice, wrap slices of apple around the center, slightly overlapping, until you reach your desired size.
- Gently place on porridge (or preferred dish) to serve. Enjoy!
Photographs by Frances F. Denny