I’m not sure if it’s the refreshing flavor or all the Instagram photos of beautifully decorated acai bowls by the beach (somehow always with #sexytanlegs), but this breakfast always brings me to a tropical, happy place. In case you’ve never tried acai, it’s pronounced ah-sah-ee, and it’s one of the most nutritious and antioxidant-rich foods on the planet (supposedly double that of blueberries). Grown in the Amazon rainforest of Brazil, they’ve been used for thousands of years by natives as natural energy/immune/beauty boosters. And health benefits aside, when you add acai to your smoothies, it basically turns it into a thick, creamy, ice cream-like blend.
There’s many variations of the acai bowl, but this one has always been my favorite. I love the combination of frozen mixed berries (especially blueberries!) with acai, and I found that the cacao powder really brings out the chocolate undertones of acai, while making it taste like chocolate ice cream. Instead of the sugary apple juice or orange juice used in standard acai bowls, I’ve added almond milk as the creamy base. I’ll often add a dollop of almond butter to make it extra creamy.
Once you make this delicious blend, don’t forget to add the toppings—it’s the best part. Set up a little mini ice cream bar with your favorite superfoods/granola, and sprinkle away! It’ll feel like you’re having dessert for breakfast.
Chocolate Acai Bowl
Vegan, Gluten Free
1 frozen banana
A handful of frozen mixed berries (I always have blueberries in the mix!)
1 tbsp cacao powder
1 tsp acai powder
1/2 cup almond milk (add a few extra splashes if needed)
1 tbsp almond butter (optional, for healthy fat/creaminess)
1/2 tsp maca powder* (optional, for extra energy)
- 1 frozen banana
- A handful of frozen mixed berries (I always have blueberries in the mix!)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp acai powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk (add a few extra splashes if needed)
- 1 tbsp almond butter (optional, for healthy fat/creaminess)
- 1/2 tsp maca powder* (optional, for extra energy)
Granola (I love this Chunky Chocolate Granola), coconut flakes, chia seeds, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, extra fruit
You can find Acai in grocery/health food stores like Whole Foods or order them online. They come in powdered form (sometimes in capsules) or frozen puree packs. So far, my favorite has been this powdered Organic Burst one.
*Use less maca powder if you’re not used to the flavor.
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend until creamy and smooth, then pour into a bowl. (I love using my food processor as I find it makes the blend creamier.)
- Top with extra fruit, granola (don’t leave this out!), coconut flakes, chia seeds, etc. It’s a great way to boost your bowl with extra nutritional benefits, and add fun textures/flavors to your bowl.
- Grab a spoon, sit back and enjoy!
Photographs by Stephanie Park
Did you make this?
Would love to know what you think! Leave a comment below and #thehealthyhour on Instagram so we can see. We’ll feature our favorites.